What is Health Information Management?
Health Information Management (HIM) covers a variety of topics that develop a well rounded understanding of the technology, science and business within the healthcare industry.
Health information is the collection of data on each patient — including family history, patient history, symptoms, test results, x-rays, and more. All information found on a patient’s chart is considered health information. According to the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), health information management “is the practice of acquiring, analyzing, and protecting digital and traditional medical information vital to providing quality patient care.”
9 Types of Businesses that hire HIM graduates:
- Acute care hospitals
- Physician offices and clinics
- Outpatient surgery centers
- Long-term care facilities (nursing homes)
- Health information software companies
- Health insurance companies
- Health information consulting firms
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Research institutes and foundations
8 Job Titles for HIM graduates:
- Director and manager of HIM
- Electronic health record (EHR) trainer
- Healthcare data analyst/manager
- Clinical coding/billing analyst/manager
- Personal health record/consumer advocate manager/ director
- EHR implementation analyst/coordinator/ project manager
- Clinical documentation improvement specialist
- Privacy and security coordinator/ manager/officer
Western Kentucky University – Best Online Degrees:
U.S. News & World Report has ranked Western Kentucky University among the top 35 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in the nation – and number 1 in Kentucky. WKU online bachelor degree programs offer rolling admission, so you can apply any day.
Western Kentucky University is located in south central Kentucky, between Nashville, Tennessee and Louisville, Kentucky. Online students are always welcome to utilize our campus resources, but 100% online programs like the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management are not required to attend campus.
Learn more about the HIM program at Western Kentucky University by visiting our website wku.edu/healthinformationmanagement/.